What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that gives the appearance of bumpy, uneven skin, whiteheads, and red spots across the face, neck, shoulders, and back.
Causes of acne:
- a lowered immune system- around period time or after using antibiotics
- gut microbiome imbalance
- stress from work or home
- bacteria getting trapped in the pores from a buildup of dead skin cells or excess oil
The bacteria on our skin is harmless, but when it gets trapped in the pores, it starts to multiply and forms bumps.
If it’s allowed to develop further, a bump will become a red spot.
From this point, over time, the bacteria starts to damage the pore.
When damage is complete, or if acne is not treated properly, skin will be left with pothole marks, which are permanent.
Acne is on the increased is most often associated with teenage skin, but it affects women of any age.
Acne isn’t just an uncomfortable skin condition to have – it can really impact on a person’s natural beauty and confidence.
Many teenagers and women found that prescribed long term antibiotics don’t always work!
Tips for Dealing with Acne
Don’t dispare, there are a few things you can do to help stop your acne from spreading:
- Avoid touching your face and picking your spots- it also helps keep Covid 19 at bay!
- As tempting as it is, it’s best to avoid using exfoliants, as this can spread the infection
- Avoid products that contain soap or alcohol, as these actually stimulate oil production
- Avoid using cotton towels- use disposal tissues to dry the skin.
- Keep your hair off your face as much as possible